3.09.2009

This Week in League Pass

A look at the week to come in the NBA and the CUFBA.

If you were hoping for a Cluj Marketplace segment, you might have to wait a few more days. The schedule here in the Faculty Lounge is changing a bit, as I (and seemingly you) have lost interest in a few of the normal weeklies. But the League Pass Highlights lives on:

Monday: Lakers vs. Blazers
There is actually another game tonight (Hornets vs. Hawks) that I could get pretty geeked about, but Lakers-Blazers is pretty much a League Pass money shot as far as I'm concerned. The only thing that could up the ante on this one is if somehow Rondo suited up for Portland tonight (though it might explain his mysterious absence from the C's game yesterday). Even though I'm a big Blazers fan, I did not realize until just now that my boys have taken six straight from Kobe and company. That's pretty fucking incredible, considering that the Lakers have only lost six games to Western Conference opponents all season. [UPDATE: Apparently that statistic refers to games at the Rose Garden. Not nearly as impressive, but still pretty radical.]

Tuesday: Jazz vs. Pacers
OK this is a weird one. I don't really like either of these teams very much, but Utah is playing incredibly lately (11 straight victories) and I think Danny Granger might make a go at playing in this one, which would be awesome. If not, I'll enjoy watching the first quarter and a half of D-Will and Boozer dismantling the Pacers, then probably watch DVR'd episodes of Rob Dyrdek's Fantasy Factory.

Wednesday: Thunder vs. Nuggets
Speaking of players returning from injury... I'm not sure if he'll be back by this game (or anytime soon), but I did trade for Kevin Durant in my middle school league last week, so I'm looking forward to having another reason to watch the Thunder soon. My interest in the Nuggets is well-documented, and has enjoyed a recent resurgence thanks to George Karl's decision to finally start JR Smith.

Thursday: Cavaliers vs. Suns, I guess
Thursdays are probably a highlight of NBA fandom for some of you, since there are nationally broadcasted games, but I fucking hate these scantily-scheduled nights with only two games. Shocker, one of them is Kobe and the other is LeBron. I picked the later game because I'm more likely to watch it as I'm heading to bed.

Friday: Mavericks vs. Warriors...
...reminds me of that magical Round 1 series in '07 when the frenzied Diddy-led Warriors upset Dirk and co., and will serve as inspiration for Bardey and I to topple the odds in Atlantic City, where we will be rolling dice. Any and all should strongly consider joining us. There are Greyhounds leaving from the Port Authority practically every 20 minutes. After our big night, we'll probably be taking a helicopter back.

Saturday: Clippers vs. Nuggets
And if, by some chance, we return from the craps tables as Losers, then I will drown my sorrows on Saturday night amongst my own kind by watching my lowly Clippers, Baron Davis and Eric Gordon. I'm really pulling for Gordon to grab Rookie of the Year honors, but I think when you're playing for the Clippers, there's pretty much no hope.

Sunday: Blazers vs. Hawks
A week bookended by Blazers games against some of my favorite teams to watch is a wonderful week of the NBA indeed.

3 comments:

  1. i do really enjoy the league marketplace item. i pretty much like all the posts, but especially the ones that focus on our league specifically. so yeah, let's see a league marketplace please.

    not sure how we're gonna watch that mavericks-warriors game while on the bus to AC, although if you had a laptop with wireless, and a slingbox and we could watch the game while pounding tall boys on a bus full of smelly and/or old people going to piss away their government aid ...well, then that would be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, obviously my favorite posts are ones that have actual news/observations/stats from teams in our league. I especially enjoy the posts when you rip apart the teams that obviously don't give a shit...but I haven't seen much of that lately. You need to give them the Sovic treatment. But, as a league pass owner myself, the "this week in league pass" post holds a special place in my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i also pretty much enjoy all posts. one of the original features i was most excited by was "better know a douchebag". whatever happened to that? i guess by now with the season winding down it doesn't make much sense, but i like the post containing a chat idea. of course, maybe you stopped doing it cause will said nothing interesting in the interview you did with him, or maybe he is actually the only douchebag in the league and therefore the feature begins and ends with him. i don't know.

    and by the way, gordon for R.O.Y.? is there any way he comes close to westbrook, mayo or rose? maybe i'm just out of touch with things in clipperland (as anyone in their right mind should be), but is he actually that good or was this just wishful thinking?

    also, for anyone who cares, i think the thunder may now be my new favorite team in the league to watch.

    ReplyDelete