2.19.2009

League Pass Power Rankings

In football, I'll always have the 'Skins. In baseball, I've got no choice but to support the Nats. College athletics are for suckers and lame-o's. But NBA fandom is blessedly fluid. Every Thursday, I'll rank the top 5 teams I look forward to watching on League Pass, and why.

5. Memphis Grizzlies
Looking like the Tyson Chandler trade isn't going through, which means the Grizzlies won't be as oop-tastic as it looked like they would be 24 hours ago, but I still like Rudy Gay and am ready to hop on the OJ Mayo train. Also, the Grizzlies have my favorite NBA uniforms.

4. Charlotte Bobcats
They've dropped a bit in the absence of Gerald Wallace, but we'll see if his return to the line-up can save them from Power Ranking obscurity.

3. Los Angeles Lakers
This is almost entirely for Lamar, who actually has been lighting it up post-Bynum, which I though was a pipe dream when I wrote about it two weeks ago. Pts/Reb/Blk for the last 5 games: 28/17/1, 12/18/1, 19/19/2, 15/20/2, 22/7/2. Love it. Wish that 17-18-19-20 streak in boards had extended into 21 and on, but I'm not complaining. Also, my fondness for Pau (part of last year's fantasy Pau-Yao connection) has rekindled. So awkward and ugly, yet so good.

2. Atlanta Hawks
Al Horford's back, and rounding into full strength (18 and 18 last night). Joe Johnson's back and needed for my middle school team, which is embarassingly mediocre. And the rest of the team is still cool.

1. Portland Trail Blazers
I've never been there, but increasingly feel that if i had to move to another city in the U.S., it might be Portland.

6 comments:

  1. kinda mailed this one in, huh viche?

    ReplyDelete
  2. don't get your panties all up in a bunch, der commisar. you know i'm the number one fanboy of the blog. but since you asked, here goes my top 5 (please note that i don't get sunday ticket or whatever it's called - though i sometimes pirate will shoaf's broadband account):

    5. the calbert cheaney-led washington bulletts. you know i love my hoosiers.
    4. phoenix suns halftime shows featuring the dunking gorilla.
    3. the city or whatever mtv or reality show dana is watching while i'm gchatting with shoaf and sovic.
    2. tuesday night pregame show on nbatv with gp and cwebb. ROOOOONNNDDOOOOOOOOOOOO!! (sovic - i still have the clip saved on my dvr, get your ass over here to watch).
    1. any game featuring my boy KRYPTONATE

    ReplyDelete
  3. Denver out of the top 5? Couldn't just slide em down a few sopts ... but completely off the radar? Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. don't worry, dekker, they're right there on the bubble.

    ReplyDelete
  5. cleveland's retro yellow and read uni's are clearly the best in the league. i hope they keep those things around.

    ReplyDelete