2.05.2009

League Pass Power Rankings

In football, I'll always have the 'Skins. In baseball, I've got no choice but to support the Nats. College athletics are for suckers and lame-o's. But NBA fandom is blessedly fluid. Every Thursday, I'll rank the top 5 teams I look forward to watching on League Pass, and why.

5. Los Angeles Lakers
I realized, while watching the game tonight, that I'm so much more a Lakers fan than I am a Celtics fan, that it didn't make any sense having the C's on this list over the Lakers. Also, I'm ready for Lamar to step up in Bynum's absence and improbably become the player we all know he can be. I don't necessarily believe it'll happen, but I'm ready for it.
4. Denver Nuggets
K-Mart sitting with malaria; JR losing playing time with Melo back; Nene continuing to make me feel bad for trading him away: I still like watching these guys play, but it's always tinged with a bit of sadness.
3. Atlanta Hawks
They were ready to vault into the 2-spot, and then Joe Johnson, member of Sr. Sovic's middle school squad, missed a game. Still, with Horford coming back, their stock is rising fast.
2. Charlotte Bobcats
I just like these guys. I hope Gerald Wallace gets back soon.
1. Portland Trail Blazers
Still #1.

3 comments:

  1. i agree with will that the lakers pick is questionable. aside from the fact that you really should hate them, they are on tnt about two times per week. those of us who don't have league pass are soooo sick of watching them it is ridiculous. watching them on league pass is like watching standard def. on an HD tv. or something.

    if i had league pass, my list would look extremely similar to the rest of yours. no bobcats though. in case anyone cares, here's my current hypothetical list:

    1. portland - oden is oden. roy is like d wade without the herpes.
    2. atl - my hometown
    3. okc - with durant, westbrook and green watching this team makes me feel like i can see into the future.
    4. tie cleveland/g. state - lebron is always entertaining and the warriors are just plain crazy.
    5. denver - this team seems like some sort of bizarre experiment to me and i'm really curious how it will turn out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. admittedly, it is pretty rare that i actually watch the lakers on league pass, since they are on national tv all the time. that said, i almost always enoy watching them, hence their presence here. if your problem is with kobe, then try not thinking of him as an arrogant, pompous asshole athlete and instead as an arrogant, pompous criminal mastermind, a la lex luthor or the joker. it makes him much more entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm wondering whether you are appropriately factoring in the Birdman in your power rankings calculations. I'm no math expert, but now that he is seeing signifacant playing time I think the Nuggets get bumped up to the 3 spot, possibly even #2. I'm considering making him the face of the whitey francise ... good old Jeff Hornacek might have to go.

    ReplyDelete